Sunday, October 6, 2013

Handle With Care


Dear Whoever You Are,
Here's a little something I wrote a few years ago.  I hope you get it, and I hope it rings true for you...


HANDLE WITH CARE
By Jim Moens


“Hold this,” I said. “But be gentle.”
She took it from me, and held it as gently as I asked.
“It’s beautiful,” she said, smiling slightly.
“It’s yours.”
Her smile faded a bit, but didn't become a frown. She considered it for a moment.
“I might drop it or something,” she said, still not looking up at me.
I shrugged. “It’s yours. I want you to have it.”
She looked up at me and smiled again.
I looked at her expectantly.  She handed it back to me. I took it, but not eagerly.
Her hand brushed my cheek. “Hold on to it for me,” she said. “Just for now.  Okay?”
I nodded. “Okay. I will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment